Created by: Taste.com.au and Great Australian Seafood
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Crispy and golden these southern fried Australian King Prawns with ranch dipping sauce are the perfect starter for any party.
- 1 tablespoon mild american mustard
- 1 egg
- 410ml (1 2/3 cups) buttermilk
- 1.5kg green Australian King Prawns, peeled, deveined, tails intact
- 130g (1/2 cup) whole-egg mayonnaise
- 125g (1/2 cup) sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, plus extra sprigs to serve
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, plus extra to serve
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, plus wedges, to serve
- Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- 300g (2 cups) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- Step 1. Place the mustard, egg and 375ml (1 1/2 cups) of the buttermilk in a large bowl. Whisk to combine. Add the prawns. Cover and place in the fridge for 15 minutes (see note)
- Step 2. Meanwhile, whisk the mayonnaise, sour cream, dill, chives, garlic, juice and remaining buttermilk in a small bowl until smooth and combined. Cover and place in the fridge until required.
- Step 3. Pour enough oil to come halfway up the side of a wok or large saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat until the temperature reaches 180C on a cook’s thermometer. Place a wire rack over a rimmed baking tray.
- Step 4. Combine the flour, salt and seasoning in a shallow dish. Coat prawns well in flour mixture (you shouldn’t be able to see the prawn flesh). Cook prawns, in five batches, for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden, crisp and just cooked through. Serve prawns with lemon wedges and ranch sauce, sprinkled with extra dill and chives.